So far, I'm on track with my daily goals (though I will have to chug another half liter of water tonight). I'm debating the wisdom of food "rewards" for staying under calorie budget each week. On the one hand, I don't want to kick up starvation hormones by under-eating. I'm 563 calories under for the week so far - from Monday on. My body holding onto fat because it isn't feeling fueled is NOT the plan. So maybe one day, slightly over, isn't a bad idea. Thoughts?
On the other hand, I'm trying to train my body, mind, and taste-buds for life. I don't want to make a weekly slice of chocolate cake some kind of prize for eating as I should, even if I do budget for it in my calories.
I'm still loving the Lose It app for the iPhone though. It makes keeping track of my calories very easy. I'm also logging grams of protein, fat, and carbs so I can monitor my percentages of each, but I'm not aiming any way exactly. I've heard different things about the ideal balance of the three. I'm planning asking Karilynn's expert her thoughts on the effect of different balances.
Adding a few more "daily goals" to the side-bar:
First: Take my daily vitamins... daily! I currently take Trader Joe's Multivitamins (two tabs), 1,000 IU of vitamin A, and 200 IU of vitamin E. I throw in some zinc and/or echinacea according to my immune needs. After chatting with my roomie about her osteoporosis, I'm realizing I should possibly throw some more calcium into the mix. I'll work on that this weekend.
Second: Eat some breakfast every day! It may seem silly, but I'd gotten into a habit of hardly eating anything before heading off to work. I know my body will do better with some nutrition to jump-start my metabolism after a night of sleep, but it's been hard. I always have my Vit. C drink and a few sips of coffee, but I have a hard time getting down solid foods in the morning. I've never been a morning person and sometimes I'm rather nervous over work or tired and the result is only a bite or two of this or that each morning. For the past three days, I've made myself eat a nice hard-boiled egg each morning. I'd like to work in some fruit or oatmeal, but I'm happy to have something solid in my belly before lunch for now.
I can't wait until the sun starts setting about a half hour later. I want to do my long walk, but I haven't been able to leave school until it's too late.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Sounds like you have a good plan. Eating enough calories is important and can be done without sugar. Karilynn has a good eating plan - you should talk to her.
I've decided I'm going to give myself one day a week, not where I just splurg on something, but where I'm going to give myself extra calories for the day. Not so I can eat horrible stuff, but just a little more of the healthy things I like. I'll probably plan a dinner that I really like that day so I can eat a little bigger portion, and then I can have a really great snack that night.
Ellura is right! I have a great eating plan! ;) I have been doing this whole diet/change your life thing for 1 year and 3 days now and I can officially tell you that the counting calories thing does not work nearly as well for me as eating 5-6 200-300 calorie meals a day. I don't TRACK calories anymore.. but I don't go crazy on my meals either... when your body is efficiently fed it efficiently burns ALL THE TIME!! I really think you would love The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. I bought my copy at Target. IT's awesome! Congrats on staying on track and staying away from the chocolate cake! Figuring this all out is half the battle and you are almost there! ;o)
I just bought the Eat Clean Diet book. I am reading it right now before I try and DIVE into it! But for me that is what works too. I hate counting and keeping track. But I eat 5 350 calorie (give or take a few) meals... And its been working great so far! I dont ever feel hungry cuz I feel like Im always eating. Difference is its heathy choices now!!
Thanks so much for the feedback, ladies!
I think I'll swing by Borders on the way up to Woodland today and see if they have the Eat Clean book.
It's awesome things are working for you Heather!
Post a Comment