Since January 1, 2010 June-October 2011

Friday, January 29, 2010

"What are you using?" they ask.

So, I've been talking about my weight loss with friends and colleagues.  I feel like bragging about my accomplishments and making statements about my goals to people who will see how I'm progressing: I feel this is a good way to stay motivated and put positive pressure on myself to succeed.  However, the question I tend to get asked by people who see my results (2.5 lbs/week is pretty lovely) surprises me:

"What are system are you doing?  What are you using?"

I mean... I don't get it.  I just kind of say that I'm watching my calories, drinking enough water, exercising when I can (and that I can't wait for better walking light), and... and then it's like they expect something else to follow.  Is it because of all these fad diets out there?  Even as I was gaining this weight, I knew it was mostly a matter of me eating too much.  It's like, the big secret is... there is no secret.  Eat healthy, in good portions, move your body, replenish fluids... That's it, people.  At least I think that's it.  I guess I'm still a bit mystified by the question.

Edit (1/30/10):  This isn't to say I think it's easy.  You really need to find your motivation and, at least while actively losing weight, it will take part of your time each day, tracking your food intake, making good choices when shopping and the like.  If it was easy, everyone would do it.  Or maybe that's not right.  Maybe being a healthy weight really is easy, but the food industry, the way this society is set up around cars, maybe that makes gaining weight MORE easy.

But I still don't understand the myth of some "weight loss secret".

6 comments:

Kira's blog said...

So true! eat less exercise more! it funny how i never got it before.

Nancy said...

I agree, the concept is simple but the DOING takes dedication. Keep up the great work!

Moi said...

Everyone wants a secret pill to lose weight. Heck I want one too, I just know it doesn't exsist. Oh well, get up off the couch and put down the doughnut I guess

Mindy said...

i used to be that person.. .always aking what someone was taking. but i've tried everything and this is the first thing that has worked well and worked consistantly. i've had a loss every month for the last 7 months. that's NEVER happened before with any fad diet or pill. eating healthy and working out ROCKS!!! Slow and steady wins the race!

M and A said...

we all would love an easy fix to our weightloss wouldn't we! but regardless of what program your on (weight watchers, jenny craig, nutrisystem, counting calories) you have to FOLLOW it! i mean you can "be on a program" and then drive thru mcdonalds VERY easily! they all take hard work & dedication! congrats on becoming noticably thinner! LOVE that feeling!

Karilynn said...

OMG!! I SO UNDERSTAND THIS! People ask what I do but it's like they WANT to hear that I got my stomach stapled or started on some fad diet or diet pill. They want me to tell them something that they CAN'T DO.. or that requires NO SELF CONTROL! When I mention diet and exercise they always seem dissapointed. It's like I'm saying YOU CAN DO IT if you JUST DO IT!! They can't feed themself excuses like they could if they simply couldn't afford my surgeon! OY!