Since January 1, 2010 June-October 2011

Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Brief History of Grace

The entry money is sent off, and I'm officially in Kari's Competition.  Since I then spent half an hour looking through the blogs that have already been linked, I figured the rest of you might be doing the same, so I should get something up here that's a bit more informative.

I've always been overweight.  When I was a child it was only by a few pounds.  As puberty hit, my body stopped growing up but continued growing out.  I entered college at 5'2" and about 150 pounds.  Each year tends to bring more weight with it.  I had a brief moment of weight-loss success in 2004, dropping 20 pounds over two and a half months, but time got the better of me and I was soon back and beyond previous records.  At Christmas 2005, I tipped the scales at 212, the most I've ever weighed.

I've had many life changes in these four years, though I haven't always been on a downward trend, I've managed not to put on so much weight.  I feel like I'm slowly reworking those past ten years in reverse, instead of gain-a-little then a-little-more, I've been slowly losing weight.  This fall, my scale went into the 160's, a number I haven't seen since before I graduated college in 2001.  That said, I got excited and made a weight-loss ticker on December 16th when I weighed 169.9... I highly suspect my start weight for the competition on January 5th will put me back in the 170's.

Still, I know I can do it!  I'm determined to push myself past 150 and beyond this spring.  If I can make it into the 140's, it will literally be the first time with my adult body that I can make that claim.  It's almost hard to believe that is a reasonable goal, but 25 pounds in five months, with all of you to keep my honest - I honestly feel I can do it!

This contest has already helped.  I'd been thinking of eating pizza tonight, but that didn't feel right after sending in my money, so I had a nice Kashi dinner instead.  Now I'm off to paint my toenails pretty for the first weigh-in.

3 comments:

Karilynn said...

LOL!! Love the toenail comment! I'm so excited to have you in this comp!! Can't wait to watch you push past limits and get results. Ready.. set... GO!

betty said...

Hey Grace! Thanks for the comment! - I am also figuring out blogspot (I never blogged before!!! lol) is there a difference between followers and friends or is that the same thing?? hahaha... I am SO excited for Kari's competition to start!!! Are you going to post pictures of yourself on your own blog as well or just send them to Kari? I haven't decided yet what I want to do about that.... >:^P

Grace said...

@Karilynn - Thanks again for running the comp and sharing your results with the world. You've really helped motivate me.

@Alicia - There seems to be a difference between friends and followers, but I've no idea what it is beyond the fact that I can't figure out how to actually "friend" anyone. I'm not sure if I'll post pictures yet or not. I'll do my scale shots, for sure. My roommate is going to take the body shots tomorrow evening so I can send them off to Kari before school starts back up on Tuesday. I may post edited versions with my head chopped off. We'll see!